Diabetes is characterized by constant high levels of blood glucose (sugar) in body. When a person is detected with Diabetes, one need to work and monitor to keep sugar levels in normal range as uncontrolleddiabetes can cause the development of various complications, which includes heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, circulation problems, nerve damage and damage to the kidneys and eyes. With advancements in treatment options one can do many things to stay well and live a healthy life without complications. A few changes in one’s lifestyle and food habits along with proper medication and monitoring can help a person with diabetes lead a normal healthy life. Many people with diabetes lead long, active and full lives that include marriage, intimacy, family, careers, sports and vacations.
10 resolutions which can help to live a healthy life with diabetes are–
- I will take regular medications as directed by doctor.I will notdrop, miss or change drugs without consulting him/her.
- I will monitor my sugar levels regularly as suggested by doctor. Along with self monitoring of blood glucose level, I will get my HbA1c(test gives average blood glucose levels of last 2-3 months) test done every 3 month. I willaim my HbA1c less than 7 percent. If HbA1c >7.5 in spite of all efforts, will visit doctor immediately for proper advice on my current treatment plan.
- I will get my blood pressure checked regularly. Along with that at least once in a year, I will haveLipid Profile, Urine Microalbuminurea, Serum Creatinine, Eye fundus examination andFoot Examination by the doctor done to prevent complications of diabetes.
- I willinclude more vegetables in my meal. Eating more vegetables can make us fell satiated in fewer calories. So, look in your meal for ingredients that can be substituted with vegetables. Having a colorful plate is the best way to ensure that you are eating plenty of fruits, vegetables and greens.
- I willinclude whole grains and fiber in my diet. I will have whole wheat flour rather than Maida, Brown rice instead of white rice and other whole grain cereals. Oatmeal, Nuts, dried beans and peas, fruits, and vegetables are all good sources of fiber.
- I willpractice portion control. I will have small portions of my favorite foods when I have temptations. If you control the portion sizes of the food you eat, you will be able to eat a wider variety of foods including your favorite sweets. A small portion is less likely to upset blood sugar levels.
- I will stop smoking and drinking alcohol.Stopping smoking is of major benefit in the prevention of major diabetes complications such as coronary heart disease, stroke and peripheral vascular disease. Your doctor or healthcare team can help you in quitting smoking.If you want to drink, then don’t drink empty stomach. (No more than 1 drinks for women and 2 drinks for men.
- I will be active and exercise regularly. I willwalk or jog when going somewhere, will climb stairs instead of taking an escalator. I will try to do something active for a total of 30 minutes every day. Choose an activity that you enjoy and do it regularly. It can mean many kinds of physical activities like dancing, skipping, cycling, playing badminton and swimming.
- I will loose weight. It is ideal to have BMI less than 23 but even if you can loose up to 5-10% of your body weight, it can help in controlling diabetes.Losing weight will help your body use insulin better.Slow weight loss is healthier, easier and more beneficial.
- I will not take stress of living with diabetes. I will control diabetes before it controls me.